Understanding Spray Foam Insulation
Spray polyurethane foam insulation, commonly referred to as SPF, is a type of insulation designed to seal ceiling cavities, attics, and other spaces from air movement. Many times, these spaces get extremely hot from the sun and the residual hot air seeps into your home, resulting in exorbitant energy costs.
Manufactured and applied on-site from two liquid chemicals, SPF always retains its shape and is advertised for maximum longevity. It’s become a popular solution for Lakeland business owners and homeowners in recent years seeking to cut energy costs. In some cases, it has been shown to make a huge difference–especially during the sweltering and humid summer months that Florida is renowned for.
The two kinds of insulation are open-cell spray foam and closed-cell spray foam. Both have pros and cons when it comes to application.
Spray Foam Insulation Costs
In Lakeland, SPF is measured per square foot and can cost in excess of $2.75 per square foot in price. On average, costs can be excessive for professional spray foam insulation to be installed. That’s because proper spray foam insulation is expensive and tricky to apply since many factors depend on its success. Curing times can vary wildly thanks to Florida humidity and unpredictable weather patterns.
Know The Dangers of Spray Foam Insulation
Improper spray foam insulation has been shown to release poisonous gasses into homes and businesses.
This can result in:
- Breathing problems
- Other harmful side effects such as skin conditions and irritation
The chemicals in closed-cell spray foam also release greenhouse gasses which damage our ozone layer and is a proven contributor to global warming.
In severe cases, families in the greater Lakeland area have permanently vacated their homes because of the harmful effects of spray foam insulation. We urge those seeking spray foam as an energy saving option to shop carefully and understand all the risks before having it installed, as the scope of the negative effects still aren’t fully understood by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
Spray Foam Insulation vs. Greenstar Panels
If anything thus far has scared you, there’s a better option available on the market that won’t cause health problems or damage your precious Lakeland home.
Greenstar Panels are a game-changing solution for Florida homes and businesses in Lakeland because our Panels:
- Are the only solution on the market that incorporates protection from all 3 types of heat transfer.
- Are manufactured from 100% recyclable expanded polystyrene with a foil facing reflective skin surface–so you get all of the insulating, energy-saving benefits of spray foam without the harmful chemicals.
- Expel heat before it travels to your attic, saving wear and tear on your roof shingles.
- Have a patent pending design that lets air pass through under the roof deck through a channel that’s above the 2” EPS insulation panel (this means radiant heat from the sun doesn’t ever heat your attic, keeping your house cooler year-round).
- Are 2” EPS and have an R-value of R38, which is Florida’s standard for new homes (R-value demonstrates an insulating material’s resistance to conductive heat flow, with R38 being the highest available on the market).
Interested? If you want to learn more about why Greenstar Panels are considered the world’s best insulation, check out our detailed comparison chart here or contact us for a full deep dive into our panels.